I Think I'm Allergic To Kiwi's!!!
So yesterday we celebrated my nephew's birthday, we had family and friends over to the house. I mean it was packed in my house, I sat back and took it all in for just a minute....everyone's here to celebrate baby Ethan turning 1. So we had a fruit tray with a array of different fruits on it. I was so busy helping my niece host, that I really didn't take time to eat anything. I spotted the fruit tray, and I said to myself...."I'm going to to get a few pieces of this kiwi". Now, before I go forward....I'm going to back track a few months back. One of Peyton's classmates had a party, and I ate some kiwi while at this party. I sat there and I felt my throat feeling kinda funny.....that's the only way I can explain it. My throat felt tight, I felt like I could feel it more then usual. I left the party and went to Katrina's house and got some Benadryl. That was the first time I had ever felt something like that after eating food. I wasn't sure if I was allergic to the kiwi, but I just know it made my throat feel kind of funny. Well yesterday, I ate that kiwi and instantly my tongue started to tingle!! It started out as a slight tingle, but I ate another piece of the kiwi, as I wasn't really paying attention to the symptoms that I was having. Well, I ate another piece and BOOM....my tongue started to itch profusely!! But, I will tell you the symptoms started quick after I ate that second piece!! My tongue was itching like crazy, but then I could feel my throat start to swell....to close. No joke, my throat felt like something was poking it. I kept telling Katrina I felt like I had swallowed a piece of plastic, but it was my throat. I started making this crazy hacking sound, and my sister and Katrina both looked at me like I was crazy...lol. I told them, I think I'm allergic to kiwi. I remember how I reacted the first time I ate kiwi at Peyton's classmates party.....but this was worse. The symptoms moved quick, itchy tongue, I could feel my throat getting tight, my throat was itching, my ears itched, and I felt like I had to vomit. All of these are signs of allergic reaction to foods. I quickly opened up a bottle of Benadryl, and took some....for some crazy reason I thought is I swooshed the Benadryl around in my mouth that would make the reactions stop. I didn't have to Epi myself, but I thought I was going to have to. After about 30 to 40 mins the itching in my mouth stopped. But I will say, my throat felt swollen all night....I didn't go to the the ER afterwards, but this is scary. I know we can all develop a allergy at any point in our lives, but to be unprepared and not knowing that your allergic to a food is freaking scary. Next step is for me to go to the doctor and get a food allergy test done.....and stay the heck away from kiwi's!! Below are just a few symptoms of what to look for if you suspect someone is having a allergic reaction to food.
Mild to moderate symptoms may include one or more of the following
Hives (reddish, swollen, itchy areas on the skin)Eczema flare (a persistent dry, itchy rash)Redness of the skin, particularly around the mouth or eyesItchy mouth or ear canalNausea or vomitingDiarrheaStomach painNasal congestion or a runny noseSneezingSlight, dry coughOdd taste in mouth
Severe symptoms may include one or more of the following
Swelling of the lips, tongue, and/or throat that blocks breathingTrouble swallowingShortness of breath or wheezingTurning blueDrop in blood pressure (feeling faint, confused, weak, passing out)Loss of consciousnessChest painA weak or “thready” pulseSense of “impending doom”
Severe symptoms, alone or combined with milder symptoms, may be signs of life-threatening anaphylaxis. This requires immediate treatment.
Epinephrine is the first-line treatment for anaphylaxis, and your anaphylaxis plan should be individualized by your healthcare provider. Delays in administering epinephrine for severe or persistent symptoms can be very dangerous, especially when the delay is an hour or longer.