I figured why not my first blog entry be about the reason behind starting a blog. My then 3 year old daughter Peyton who ate a cashew....unknown to my husband and I that she was deadly allergic to it. I will never forget that day, NEVER!! It was one of the scariest days of my life, I almost lost my daughter to something that I knew nothing about. Before finding out that Peyton had food allergies, I knew nothing about food allergies. The words food allergies, Epi Pen, anaphylactic shock wasn't part of my vocabulary. Until that day....it was the Spring of 2010 when she ate a half of a cashew. Thank God we was on our way to a doctors appointment for my younger son, because if it had been any ordinary day, she would have been taking a nap.
In less then 10 minutes she went into full blown anaphylactic shock, causing her throat to swell, her blood pressure dropped, and she began to have a asthma attack. Peyton was given two rounds of the Epi Pen Jr. and Benadryl , and put on oxygen by her pediatrician.....but was still showing symptoms, so she was rushed to our local children's hospital.
Fast forward 6 years later, we have had our scares with peanut and tree nut allergies. Shortly after finding out that Peyton was allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, we found out that she is anaphylactic to shell fish also. I tell Peyton all the time, this is the hand that life has dealt us, we may not like it.....or love it, but you will learn to live with this and not let it hold you back!!
This blog was started as a way for me to engage with other parents and caregivers of children who have severe food allergies or who suffer from food sensitivities or other intolerance's, not just nut allergies, BUT ALL!! We can help educate each other on the challenges that comes along with raising a child with food allergies.